There are so many great ways to volunteer with Friends of Trees in Eugene & Springfield! Below are just a few of the exciting volunteer roles we are looking to fill! Check out dozens of tree planting and stewardship events on the Eugene/Springfield Events Calendar.
Current Volunteer Roles:
Eugene Crew Leaders
Crew Leaders attend a training to learn how to plant trees and how to guide small groups of volunteers. Crew Leaders commit to attending Saturday morning events throughout the planting season in our two planting programs:
- The Neighborhood Trees program plants large street and yard trees throughout Eugene & Springfield neighborhoods.
- The Green Space program plants small native trees and shrubs in natural areas and green spaces to restore native habitat and improve watershed health.
Each Crew Leader receives the coveted Tree Team t-shirt and is invited to attend FOT leadership celebrations. Being a Crew Leader is a way to give back to your community and make new connections - all while having fun!
Eugene Crew Leader training is scheduled for Thursday, November 5th at 5:30pm. Learn more or sign up to participate by contacting Jennifer at JenniferK@friendsoftrees.org.
Saturday Tree Planters - Always Needed!
We organize public tree planting events every Saturday morning from November - April and we always need help planting trees. We provide coffee and breakfast treats to get you fueled up, as well as gloves, tools and trained volunteer guidance. It's a great way to get outside, learn how to plant trees, meet people, fulfill service learning requirements and help make the Eugene/Springfield metro region greener and healthier - all at once!
- Volunteer Groups: RSVPs are kindly requested for groups of more than 5 people - please click HERE to do so. RSVPs are not required for groups of 4 or less.
- Youth Volunteers: If you're under 18 years old, please bring a signed copy of our Youth Waiver with you to the event.
Neighborhood Outreach Coordinators
Neighborhood Outreach Teams are critical to the mission and success of Friends of Trees! Teams work closely with staff members to work with potential tree purchasers in the neighborhood, create outreach strategies for the planting event. The most important piece of the equation is the willingness to communicate with your neighbors, get excited about having more trees in your neighborhoods - and, of course, having fun doing it!
A short training is required - please use this form to sign-up! We are currently scheduling training based on a time/date that works best for everyone. If you're interested in learning more, please fill out this form and we'll be in touch with you shortly to schedule.
- Truck Dirvers: Nearly very planting crew needs truck diver support. Tree are big and heavy and tools add up quickly. Volunteer truck drivers lend their vehicles to a planting event and help us get our trees and tools from house to house on planting day. Whether you want to volunteer at your neighborhood planting event, or you are free to join us over multiple weekends, we'd love to have your help! Sign up here to volunteer as a truck driver.
- Bike Planters: If you are pumped on biking and want to bring your bike out to a planting event - we can work with that! Bicycling crews transport all of the trees, tools and people to each planting site during neighborhood planting events. Folks with bike trainlers and racks are encouraged, though anyone with a bike is welcome to plant with us! Sign up here to join us as a bike planter!
Our planting season is nearly upon us and your truck or bike will greatly help us get more trees in your area!
Current Volunteer Needs in Eugene
Friends of Trees welcomes volunteers all year, in all parts of our work, from planning to planting. Find a role that suits you best. We look forward to working with you! Click HERE for our Current Volunteer Needs form and let us know how you'd like to get involved!
In September 2011, the Eugene Tree Foundation joined forces with Friends of Trees to become our Friends of Trees Eugene office! The service area of the Eugene office is the Eugene-Springfield metro area.
Stay up to date! Check out the growing archive of Eugene posts on our blog, Growth Rings.
For more information about any of our volunteer opportunities, please email Jennifer Killian at JenniferK@friendsoftrees.org or call the Eugene office at 541-632-3683 to learn more.