Job Title: Neighborhood Trees Outreach Staff
Supervisor (position): NT Specialist
Hourly: $16/ hour
Benefits eligibility: Not eligible for benefits
Hours: Tuesday – Saturday, approximately 3-8pm. Approximately 25 hrs/week.
Friends of Trees is looking for energetic and outgoing individuals to join our dedicated team. We educate citizens about the importance of planting trees and growing the urban forest through our planting programs. Outreach staff are the public face of our effort, providing extensive face-to-face and telephone contact with residents as we offer them tree-planting opportunities.
Ideal candidates will be personable, creative and adaptable, excited about door-to-door canvassing, community outreach and education, and enthusiastic about planting trees as a means of improving the urban environment. This announcement will be used to fill up to 8 part-time, summer/fall positions. Positions will begin as early as mid-June. There may be potential for work continuing beyond fall.
- Excellent people skills, positive attitude, and sense of humor
- Previous experience in canvassing, customer service, sales or other outreach work
- Experience representing a non-profit, governmental agency, or other organization to the public
- Strong awareness of and commitment to environmental restoration
- Willingness and ability to work full shifts on foot, in the field, in varying weather conditions
- Well-organized with excellent time management skills
- Excited to work in an energetic team
- Ability to provide your own transportation to and from field work in N, NE, and SE Portland.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Knowledge of trees and gardening
- Knowledge of stormwater management and/or urban forestry practices
- Previous experience with detailed data entry
- Ability to speak a language other than English
- Have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
Description of Duties:
- Contacting property owners, primarily door-to-door as well as over the telephone, to provide information and promote participation in neighborhood tree planting events.
- Signing up customers who are interested in the tree planting program
- Following up and assisting homeowners with tree purchases
- Asking for financial support to grow our efforts in the community
- Recording and maintaining accurate field data
- Supporting community outreach programs, including tabling at events
- Must provide a timesheet by the 1st and 15th of every month.
Please submit cover letter and resume (together no more than 2 pages) to WhitneyD@FriendsofTrees.org by Thursday, May 7th, 2015.
Friends of Trees Volunteer Positions
Friends of Trees invites you to become one of our volunteer leaders. It's a great way to help your community while you build your resume and network with like-minded people.