Now Hiring: Neighborhood Trees Outreach Assistant
Job Title: Neighborhood Trees Outreach Assistant (Download PDF)
Status: Seasonal, part-time
Compensation: $14-16 hourly; not eligible for benefits
Schedule: 3:00pm-8:30pm (Tue-Fri); 10:00am-3:00pm (Sat); approx. 25 hours/wk; scheduling is somewhat flexible
Friends of Trees is hiring up to ten outgoing individuals to join our team to represent our organization from June through September, with the option of continuing work into the fall and winter.
Friends of Trees is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization serving Oregon and Southwest Washington. Our mission is to inspire community stewardship of our urban forest by bringing people together to plant and care for urban trees and natural areas.
Our outreach staff are the public face of our tree planting effort, providing extensive face-to-face contact with residents as we offer them new tree-planting opportunities. Successful outreach staff are outgoing, independently motivated, self-directed, and adaptable to changing field conditions. Strong candidates will be comfortable with door-to-door canvassing and enthusiastic about community outreach and planting trees as a means of improving the urban environment.
• Excellent people skills, positive attitude and sense of humor
• Previous canvassing, customer service, sales and/or community outreach experience
• Strong awareness of and commitment to environmental restoration
• Desire to work with diverse communities and with individuals from all backgrounds
• Experience with and ability to work both independently and in a small team
• Willingness and ability to work full shifts on foot, in the field, in varying weather conditions
• Well organized with excellent time management skills
• Ability to reach field work locations in North, Northeast, Southeast, and East Portland
• Knowledge of trees, gardening and/or urban forestry issues
• Experience representing a non-profit, government or other organization to the public
• Previous experience with detailed data entry
• Have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
• Ability to speak a language other than English
• Live within one of Portland’s 95 officially recognized neighborhoods
Description of Duties:
• Measure and assess private and public property to identify tree planting potential
• Contact property owners at the door to provide information and promote participation in neighborhood tree planting events
• Assist homeowners with tree selection/purchases
• Recording and maintaining accurate field data
• Detailed data entry, weekly at the Friends of Trees office in NE Portland
• Tabling at events and presentations to community groups
• Submit an accurate timesheet bi-weekly
• Please submit a cover letter and resume or submit an application form to Erica Timm, EricaT@friendsoftrees.org by 5:00pm on May 12th, 2017.
• Please limit applications to two pages.
* * *
Friends of Trees invites you to join our team as one of our volunteer leaders. It's a great way to help your community while you build your resume and network with like-minded people.
* * *
Friends of Trees is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Friends of Trees is committed to equal opportunity for all persons including staff, volunteers, and clients served without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or familial status, family relationship, sexual orientation, gender identity, association with any other person in a protected class, veteran status, expunged juvenile record, source of income or any other classification protected by law.
If you would prefer to submit an application form for us to keep on file for future employment opportunities, please download and print this form and deliver it to the Friends of Trees Office, 3117 NE MLK Jr. Blvd, Portland OR, 97212.