Neighborhood Trees Outreach Staff
Application deadline: May 13th, 2016
Supervisor: NT Specialist
Hourly: $14.00-$16.00 hourly
Benefits: Not eligible for benefits
Hours: Tues – Sat, approximately 3-8pm; approximately 25-30 hours per week
Friends of Trees is looking for energetic and outgoing individuals to join our motivated team. Informing community members about the many benefits of planting trees and the importance of growing the urban forest through our tree planting programs is integral to our success. Outreach staff are the public face of our effort, providing extensive face-to-face contact with residents as we offer them new tree-planting opportunities.
Ideal candidates will be personable, creative and adaptable, comfortable with door-to-door canvassing, community outreach and education, and enthusiastic about planting trees as a means of improving the urban environment. We expect to fill up to ten part-time positions from June 15th to September 22nd with the potential of continuing into the Fall/Winter.
- Excellent people skills, positive attitude and sense of humor
- Previous experience in canvassing, customer service, sales and/or community outreach
- Experience representing a non-profit, government or other organization to the public
- Strong awareness of and commitment to environmental restoration
- Willingness and ability to work full shifts on foot, in the field, in varying weather conditions
- Well organized with excellent time management skills
- Experience working both independently and as part of a larger team
- Ability to reach field work locations in North, Northeast, Southeast, and East Portland
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Ability to speak a language other than English
- Knowledge of trees, gardening and/or urban forestry issues
- Previous experience with detailed data entry
- Have a valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- Live within one of Portland’s 95 officially recognized neighborhoods
Description of Duties:
- Canvass residential neighborhoods daily to identify planting tree potential
- Contact property owners to provide information and promote participation in neighborhood tree planting events
- Recording and maintaining accurate field data to be entered into a database at the Friends of Trees office on a weekly basis
- Assist homeowners with tree purchases
- Tabling at events and presentations to community groups
- Attend a week-long training from 10am-5pm, June 15th-June 22nd (excluding weekend)
- Must submit timesheet on the 1st and 15th day of each month
Please submit cover letter and resume or application to EricaT@friendsoftrees.org (no more than two pages total). Applications will be accepted until May 13, 2016 – or until 100 submissions have been received.
If you would prefer to submit an application form instead, please download and print this form and deliver it to the Friends of Trees Office, 3117 NE MLK Jr. Blvd, Portland OR, 97212.
* * *
Director of Development & Communications
For more information of this position, please see the job posting at Willamette Valley Development Officers Website.
* * *
Friends of Trees invites you to become one of our volunteer leaders. It's a great way to help your community while you build your resume and network with like-minded people.
* * *
Friends of Trees is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Friends of Trees is committed to equal opportunity for all persons including staff, volunteers, and clients served without regard to race, age, religion, color, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability, marital or familial status, family relationship, sexual orientation, gender identity, association with any other person in a protected class, veteran status, expunged juvenile record, source of income or any other classification protected by law.
If you would prefer to submit an application form for us to keep on file for future employment opportunities, please download and print this form and deliver it to the Friends of Trees Office, 3117 NE MLK Jr. Blvd, Portland OR, 97212.